Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies



On the side of chewy vs crisp cookies, I'm on Team Crispy all the way. Most times, I end up having to modify recipes I find in order to make them just the way I like. The downside is that it increases the chances of them burning. So I was really excited when I came across this recipe for crispy salted oatmeal cookies.


Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies
From Cook’s Illustrated

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup good-quality chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.

Gradually add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated and smooth, followed by oats and white chocolate.

Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.

Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie

Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.

Notes:
I was baking while watching Masterchef and completely forgotten to add sea salt on top of the cookies. Oops. They still turned out fine though. Next time I'll try some lemon salt on top.

I actually made my cookies about 1/2 tablespoon sized and baked for 10mins instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment