Monday, May 3, 2010

Banana Bread Cookie


Now I know these don't look like much, but honestly, you have to make them. The shockingly bad picture doesn't detract from the fact that these cookies are amazing. It just tells you that I've been baking at night again. They pretty much taste like soft pillowy bites of banana bread, encased in a crisp outer shell. Give it a go and let me know how yours turn out.


Banana Bread Cookies
Recipe modified from the Tasty Kitchen

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
splash of almond extract (optional)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup oats

Preheat oven to 185C.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add in eggs and extracts.

Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix into butter mixture.

Gradually add banana and oats.

Drop by spoonfuls (I used about 1/2 to 1 tsp as I like small cookies) onto prepared cookie sheets.

Baked for 10-12 minutes and cool immediately on wire racks.

Notes:
Be careful not to overbake these. You want it just done enough to have a crisp, slightly brown outside while maintaining a soft interior.

The original recipe calls for 1/2C chocolate chips. If you're so inclined, add them in after the banana and oats.

As I knew I was going to make small cookies (I ended up with about 50), I've actually halved the recipe. If you prefer a more traditional sized cookies, feel free to double the proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment